Washblog

A thousand (or two) people in the streets of Seattle

October 27, 2007 - A coalition of antiwar activists thundered through the streets of Seattle - part of a nationwide statement to our government and the whole world. An all-ages, colorful assemblage of pissed-off citizens united for peace, justice, and democracy yet again. I'm posting a lot of pictures to convey that the march went on...and on...and on: one of the biggest I've seen in Seattle. It made me proud!

The messages boiled down to a few themes. See below:

MESSAGE ONE:

MESSAGE TWO:

Throw in this message:

And this...Good to know there's an "Anti-Imperialist Committee":

And this:

And this:

And this:

Vets for Peace and Iraq Vets against War

The peace and love-peddling Kucinich folks were out on force...and a few Ron Pauls.

"Everybody look what's goin' down..." I had many  moments of - WHAT YEAR IS IT?  1969 ?
Peace signs everywhere:

Bob Dylan quotes:

Pink Floyd tee shirts (is that Yoko Ono on the right?):

Flag-wrapped protestor luv:

"Young people speakin' their minds..."

He is turning 18 and worried about being drafted, he says.

One of the young folks referred to the cops as "fuzz".  I haven't heard that expression since "Mod Squad" went off the air...But look! Not one gray head in this rapt crowd...

"A thousand people in the streets..." The TV report estimated close to two thousand.

West Seattle Neighbors, for whom I stitched this banner:

Vashon Island, Everett, Kitsap County for Peace...

The demonstrators were less than respectful of Dear Leader and his cabal:

My personal favorite:

Outrage over lies:

Outrage over the massive drain on our Treasury:

Outrage over torture:

Outrage over Constitution abuse:

And just plain HAD ENOUGH AND THEN SOME:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More young people speakin' their minds:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I saved the best, er, most controversial, for last - puppets! Here is a jolly-looking greenback-stuffed Capitalistic Fat Cat with a machine gun:

A rough-looking Lady Liberty  - wearing a Che t-shirt? Now I've seen everything...

Mourning Iraqi:

The People's Judge:

The People's Jury:

Peace Doves:

War resistors:

The Last War:

Of course the famous BACKBONE:

MOTHER EARTH:

The radiant source of SOLAR POWER, with a poster depicting a happy, peaceful, solar-powered and monorailed Seattle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And lastly THANKS to the tireless Bill Moyer and the BACKBONE CAMPAIGN  BAND for creating a dynamic beat for marching.

< On Coffee Addiction, Or, Smarter Foreign Policy, One Cup At A Time | Another Repub "I am not gay" sex scandal... >

Poll

Feedback?
Excellent pictures
Excellent story
Excellent pictures AND story
Now I feel guilty cause I blew it off
Protests marches are a waste of time
There was a protest march?

Votes: 21
Results | Other Polls
Display: Sort:

how we all feel about the war. You'll never see stuff like this in the Times!

Kenmore Neighbors for Responsible Growth

by technogramma on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 11:22:22 AM PST

* 1 none 0 *

I saw two counter-protestors stationed at the endpoint of the march in Pioneer Squuare. THIS is the best they could come up with. Nice bold sign- making technique, but pathetic messages:

Probable interpretation: Maybe marijuana use DOES correlate with anti-authoriarian behavior, and these right-wingers are authoritarians. Therefore the protestors must be dopeheads. Gotcha.

by dinazina on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 11:49:12 AM PST

* 2 none 0 *

I feel so happy seeing these people protesting.

I was at the Cascadia Convergence on Saturday and am working on two posts from that experience - one on sustainable aviation in the PNW -- and the other on the PNW involvement in global sustainability.

There were a couple of mentions at that group about how people wanted to be two places at one time -- with the protesters and at the convergence.  You can't do both.  This is an issue for all people in this area who support sustainability, democracy, and human rights -- how can people coordinate these major events better?

by noemie maxwell on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 12:54:01 PM PST

* 3 none 0 *

• Ditto by zappini, 10/31/2007 06:10:00 AM PST (none / 0)
    • Interviews by noemie maxwell, 10/31/2007 08:40:44 AM PST (none / 0)
Dina, once again, you give us the 'almost could have been there' photos.  Good looking photos, too.  I particularly wanted to thank you for capturing a photo of the two Military Families Speak Out - Washington state chapter (website here) members carrying the MFSO banner. I posted an entry to include 2 of your photos with link back to your story.

Also, I received an email with a link to photos placed at Seattle.indymedia.org and I think the below photo is one taken of you, Dina.  Is it you, Dina?

Seattle End the War March Photographs

author: Elliot Stoller
Oct 28, 2007 15:03

Photographs from the End the War March in Seattle, 10-27-07

'Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them? ~ Abraham Lincoln

by Lietta Ruger on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 07:50:10 PM PST

* 4 none 0 *

I was focusing more on photographing than demonstrating. Just before I went home, I remembered to ask someone to take a picture to prove I was there:

Sad story: At the last minute, I was rushing to complete a clever new sign that pictured Bush/Cheney heads as the malicious virus "BUSH.exe" - (get it? an .exe file, the kind that initiates programs, including bad ones, and also means the executive branch!)

Suddenly an ancient cup of coffee dropped out from under a stack of papers on my drafting table and spilled on the sign. So I rushed out without my clever sign and grabbed two oldies but goodies.

I gotta clean up my basement studio, scene of many a creative hurricane.

by dinazina on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 08:14:03 AM PST

* 6 none 0 *

• Malware by zappini, 10/31/2007 10:15:18 AM PST (none / 0)
The part i liked about this article--- "More young people speakin' their minds: This one brilliantly combined his desire for peace and his Caped Crusaderism. Way to go! " Way to go..!! Mechanical Engineering Notes

by ajaykumar1 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 at 03:18:17 AM PST

* 14 none 0 *

The hot Code Pink props combined with screaming yellow ANSWER posters make quite a statement. Gotta hand it to ANSWER, they print up some sharp in-your-face graphics and distribute them widely. Electrical Engineering Notes

by ajaykumar1 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 at 03:25:06 AM PST